Saturday, September 5, 2009

One Year Ago...

I can't even believe it has been 1 year since we went to the hospital to bring out little bundle of joy into the world. The weekend we gave birth to Lily was the most intense, slow, unreal, unplanned, life changing weekend of our lives.

As a way to reflect on what we went through to bring our baby into this world I would like to share our story with you. If you know it already feel free to not read on or read it. If you do not know our story I encourage you to grab a cup of coffee, a snack and quite possibly some tissues. I cried for months after our daughter's birth when I talked about her birth or what her birth meant for our future. No it's not as tragic as many births but it was trying for us and frustrating, something that we would never have imagined in our wildest dreams, and failing in my eyes (or at least I still have a hard time convincing myself I didn't fail or that the doctor didn't fail).

Since her birth took place over the course of a 3 day period I will release this post also in a 3 day period. This way you are not bombarded with hours of reading at one time. Well I suppose you won't be if you check my blog daily.

Here is our story, day 1 of how Lily's life in this world came to be. We arrived at a local hospital at about 7:00 p.m. on September 5th, 2008. We were ready to induce; although not what we were hoping for, but by this time I was a week overdue with an expected 9 to 11 lb baby inside of me. Yes, she was expected to be that big; found by weekly ultra sounds done the last month or so of my pregnancy. During that time I was also having non-stress tests done because I had an excess amount of fluid and there was a chance of putting the baby under stress.
1 Month almost to the day before labor.
(Only picture I could find profiling my belly nearing the end of the pregnancy.)

The induction I would forgo that evening was cervidel induction. I had never heard of this type so in case you have not, it's a suppository that helps your body prepare for labor, like open and soften you up. It takes 12 hours to do it's job. The plan was my doc would arrive in the morning and after the 12 hours he would break my bag. Once you start the cervidal induction you aren't aloud to leave the hospital until your baby has been born and you are all healthy and free to check out. In our minds we would have a baby within 24 hours of checking in to the hospital. We were excited and anxious. Once the suppository was in place it was time to relax and get some sleep before labor was to begin. We slept, me in the hospital bed and Adam in a fold out chair.

To Be Continued...

No comments: