Pages

Friday, June 26, 2009

A temperature of 102.2 lead us to the doctor's office yet again. 3 times in a month. That's a LOT for us, for Lily considering until the first appointment of this recent round of 3 we had only ever gone for well child checkups. Last Sunday she cut her second tooth. She had not been sleeping well until 2 nights ago she was able to sleep through the night and again last night as well. I had been giving her Tylenol and Ibuprofen, even teething tablets. None of it seemed to be working. The tooth was moving up and down so I would imagine that she was in quite a bit of pain. She has not been eating much, the only thing she seems to be interested in eating is Cheerios, as mentioned in a previous post. I thought the teething was letting up when she started sleeping through the night but this afternoon she came down with a fever. I called her doctor's office because it was 3:30 and Friday, she never broke out into a fever with the first tooth, and I just wasn't sure if I wanted to go through the weekend starting out with a fever and not knowing the exact cause. The doctor, fortunately, had an opening. Well, actually we saw a nurse practitioner, but that was fine with us in this case. I was just relieved to get her in. The ARNP looked her over and decided it was probably just teething but to watch her over the weekend and if the fever has not come down and stayed down come Monday, we need to bring her back in with a urine sample. My first thought was, "How in the world do you get a pee sample from a 9 month old?" Well he came back in later with this diaper insert that collects the urine. Weird. I am hoping we don't have to use it. I really don't want my baby to be sick again. The ARNP discovered that she was slightly dehydrated when he checked out her ears and noticed they were red but not infected. So I have to give her more fluids. This is hard for me because I always offer her something to drink with her meals and something to drink throughout the day and she never accepts. She takes a couple of drinks of water at the end of her meals but then doesn't want anything more. I will keep trying of course and try to be more forcing. I will also start offering her more variety of something to drink hoping that might help. I have only given her water and super watered down apple juice in addition to my milk and formula before bed in fear of giving her too much sugar. But, I suppose a little more sugar in her diet is better than dehydration.

Well our weekend is off to a great start. How about yours?

No comments: