Tuesday, June 1, 2010

First Day

We started our new place today. Work/childcare. Anyone have any suggestions on what I can call it that uses both terms in one since it's the same place?

I need to make this quick because, I need to get to bed. I am going to try desperately to get as close to 8 hours of sleep per night as possible.

We arrived at 10:30. I was told I was supposed to start at 11. They told me I start at noon and will start at 11 after they make the new schedule. So, I had an hour and a half to spend with Lily. I played with her, I watched her play, and I stood by her side during her lunch time. They served tater tot casserole and mandarin oranges for lunch. She doesn't eat ground beef so she wanted nothing to do with the casserole. She had 2 helpings of the oranges and they gave her a couple crackers. They serve lunch at 11, we normally eat at 12. An adjustment will need to be made there. Right after lunch is nap time. I stayed with her to try and get her to sleep. We had no such luck. She screamed and fought and now I have a big scratch on my face. I ended up just needing to leave because it wasn't working. The teachers were very understanding and patient. They said it normally takes about 2 weeks for the child to adjust. I left while they were trying to see if she would sleep laying in a high chair. She was screaming and I got emotional. I came up later to check on her and she had stopped screaming as soon as they asked her if she wanted to hold a baby doll. They said she never ended up going to sleep though. So, Lily went the day without having a decent lunch or a nap. We survived though and she had fun playing. The teachers enjoyed her, one of them gave her the cutest pig tails in her hair. I came up a couple hours later again to check on her. She thought it was time to go but, unfortunately we still had another 2 hours. I gave her a hug and told her I loved her. She was super excited to see me when they came to the main room at around 5:45 where we spent the remainder of the day (until 6) together.

Needless to say Lily has a lot of adjusting to do.

As for me, I didn't dislike it but, I need more time to say if I liked it. I know it's not what I dream of doing but, I also know that it is what my family needs right now. The kiddos sure are cute though. I am excited to get to know them. They all rushed at me with hugs when they saw me and were eager to tell me their names and show me all their booboos. So cute! I will update at the end of the week a little more about my end and let you know how Lily is adjusting.

Overall it was a good day. Thank you for your prayers and thoughts! I could definitely feel peace throughout my day.

1 comment:

Deona said...

You and Lily are going to do great, but as they told you it will take some adjusting to the new routine. Lily is social and so good natured, she'll take to the new environment quickly!! Things don't always happen as we think they should (according to our plan anyway) and all change is tough; however, with the right outlook and a positive attitude, I know you'll do GREAT too!!!!