Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2008

Life is precious and unpredictable!

This last week I received some TERRIBLE news from my dad in regards to a step cousin of mine that I have not seen in probably 5 plus years. She was married and had 2 sons with her husband. I have not met her family, have only heard about them. Her first son is 3 or 4 and 2nd son was born 10 months ago. My cousin had her 10 month old in the bath tub and ran to check on some laundry. While checking on the laundry her son drowned in the tub. He was rushed to the hospital in their small town. They took 30 minutes to get his heart pumping again and was air lifted to a hospital in a bigger city near by. After 30 minutes of your heart not beating, brain damage is caused. So, after brain scans that showed no brain activity and waiting for a couple of days they decided to take him off of life support. It was an accident that could have been avoided. As a first time mom, this scares me to death. You just can't be too careful. How do you get past an accident of this kind? How do you forgive yourself for something like that? I believe in God's grace and mercy and forgiveness and I know that it would take so much of each of those in order to get past something like that, if you ever could even with those. I know that little guy is in heaven and that for whatever reason God chose to bless this world with his birth and only 10 months of his life, but I know it is easy to wonder, why did this tragic accident happen?

I have learned that you just can't be too careful. I have learned to never let my little girl out of my sight. I know that life is precious and can be taken from us in an unexpecting instant. I have also learned that I need to cherish each second I have with my baby girl because I have no idea what plans God has for her or me. I pray that God blesses her with a long, healthy, happy life but I know that there are no guarantees.

I wanted to share this story so that others can take a minute and think about how precious life is and to be reminded that you just can't be too careful when caring for your children.

So on a happier note:

We went and had professional pictures of Lily taken today. She turned 4 weeks old today. The pictures are absolutely beautiful. We can view, download, and order online after 10 business days so I will try to post some of them then.

I can't believe she is already 4 weeks old. It does not seem like it has been 4 weeks since our adventure bringing her into the world occured. I just don't know where the last 4 weeks have gone. Of course the first 2 I hardly remember since I was so drugged up on pain meds. I know that babies grow up fast but the last 4 weeks have proved that it is not just fast it is like light speed.

No pictures this time but I will post some soon. Until next time...

1 comment:

Annali said...

So small world...that relative of yours who's son drowned...yeah, I'm pretty sure its the friend of a friend of a friend of mine. :( So, so, so sad. Hug Lily extra tight tonight.