Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

A surprise...

in my very own house. Many of you know of my feelings for my house. But for those of you that don't know...I really don't have any pride in my house. We bought it on a whim basically. We didn't look at house before deciding, other than on the internet. We thought we were getting a good deal but shortly after all the papers were signed and we even moved in we were sorely mistaken. Buying our house was by in large a HUGE mistake. But really that is a whole other subject. One that occured 1 year and 10 months ago. So I am not going to go there beyond what I already have.

We have a cat and 2 dogs. Sometimes it feels like we are living in a zoo. When we first moved into our house we had just gotten one of our dogs and we had some potty training issues. Then, after Lily was born my cat got jealous and started peeing in the livingroom. The carpet in our livingroom is now destroyed. All the carpet shampooing in the world couldn't get the cat pee smell out. Believe me, I have tried as we own a carpet shampooer and seem to use it on a regular basis. We don't invite people over because frankly, I am embarassed of the smell. Lily will be crawling before we know it and both, Adam and I agreed she cannot be crawling around on that carpet. So we decided with our income tax we would get new flooring. We debated on getting new carpet or laminate. Adam wanted new carpet because he thought our dogs would scratch laminate flooring. I wanted laminate because if we had gotten new carpet I would have to get rid of my cat and that is just something my heart could not bear right now. Also, if an animal peed on laminate I would just have to wipe it up. I wouldn't have to worry about it soaking in and destroying more carpet. I would rather have scratched floors then pee stained floors.

We eventually made the decision of getting laminate flooring and went to look at it this weekend. We went to Lowes and found Pergo flooring on clearance. They had quite a bit of it so we decided to leave and check out Great Floors. We found some there that we liked that fit into our budget too. We went home and I called my mom to tell her about it and we decided to go back to Lowes to make the purchase. Adam decides we should probably take up the carpet to see what's under it already. So he pulled it up and what does he find...? Hardwood floors! Yes, that is right, real hardwood floors. He called his dad to verify since his dad builds homes for a living he would know for sure. He confirmed that yes in deed, it is wood flooring. Our house is 100 years old and apparently it was pretty common 100 years ago to put down wood flooring, specifically of the fir variety. I am thrilled to say the least. We don't have to spend 1,000 plus dollars on pergo flooring, plus our wood floors will be a way better quality floor than any type of laminate we could have afforded. It will also withstand the scratches from the dogs and if it does get scratched we can just sand it out. They will last a lifetime, they are after all, already 100 years old.

All we have to do it tear up the carpet, sand down the floors and stain them. It will be a lot of work but Adam's step dad is going to help us and we have about a month to clear everything out of the living room and purchas all we need to purchase. We will have our wood flooring ready and viewable by the end of March if all goes according to plan.

I am so excited! To think I could have had wood flooring in this house all along. I am just so thrilled! All we will be spending is a couple hundred dollars and we will have great quality flooring.

Now, we just have to think about what we are going to do now with our income tax return.

Thank you all for sharing my excitement with me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! That's GREAT! Love, love, love those old wood floors. :)